Australian and Pacific parliaments that belong to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) are participating in a twinning program that provides the opportunity to enhance relations, exchange information and learn from each other. The concept of twinning is similar to the ‘sister city’ relationships that exist between cities of different countries.
The twinned Australian and Pacific parliaments are:
- Australian Capital Territory with Kiribati
- New South Wales with Bougainville and Solomon Islands
- Northern Territory with Niue
- Queensland with Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu
- South Australia with Tonga and the Marshall Islands
- Tasmania with Samoa
- Victoria with Nauru and Tuvalu
- Western Australia with Cook Islands
The Pacific Parliamentary Partnerships Fund provides funding for projects in the Pacific Parliaments that focusses on professional development of parliamentarians, capacity building of parliamentary secretariats and development of community outreach initiatives.